So you want to get a set of coilovers for your car but don't have thousands of dollars to spend on a fully adjustable race setup.
Im also assuming you don't want to install useless, cheap junk that's going to break or rust soon after you buy it.
Luckily there is a broad middle ground of great coilover kits by some of the top names in the business.
High quality kits are now readily available under $2000, with the kits listed below being closer to $1500 or less.
If you haven't already, please check out our other blog posts with valuable information about great products and projects.
We obviously can't speak about every brand of coilover out there, as we only have experience with the brands we sell and trust, based on positive reviews from our customers.
Before buying a set of coilovers for your vehicle, do some research about the brands you are considering.
More importantly though, ask yourself some questions about your coilover needs.
- What is my budget for a set of coilovers
- What will I be using the car for mostly?
- Do I only need ride height adjustment for a daily driver?
- Do I need compression and rebound tuning for racing or track days?
These are just a few questions to ask to help you navigate to the proper set of coilovers for your needs.
As this blog post is about 5 kits under $1800, they will offer only ride height adjustment suitable for upgrading a daily driver.
So, without further delay, here is our list of the top 5 coilover kits under $1800.
AST is a suspension company from the Netherlands, and is now the owner and operator of world famous suspension brand, MOTON.
They have a variety of products ranging from full race suspension setups to a new line of lowering springs.
The AST 2000 series coilover is perfect for a daily driver that does occasional spirited canyon driving.
Some of the highlights of these kits include:
- A huge improvement in handling for non track users
- Twin tube performance dampers
- Plug and play installation
- Can be used with your OEM top mounts
- 30-65mm of lowering range (1.2-2.5 inches)
- Kits come complete with spanner wrench and end links if needed
All 2000 series coilover kits are built with preset damping and spring rates specific to each vehicle for best out of the box performance.
Most AST 2000 kits are under 1700 bucks and are a great option to consider if they fit your needs.
Bilstein is arguably the inventor of the gas pressurized shock absorber and has gone on to make some of the finest suspension components available.
They also are trusted by many top auto makers to supply OEM suspension parts.
Bilstein makes a variety of coilover kits ranging from entry level to full race adjustable.
Like the AST 2000, this B14 kit serves as a nice middle ground kit that gives a big improvement in handling and response as well as ride height adjustability.
Some of the features of this high quality kit include:
- A lowering range of 50mm (2 inches) to set the stance where you like
- Monotube damper design for excellent heat dissipation
- Spring and damper rates specific to each application
- Progressive rate springs for daily driver comfort
- Preset compression and rebound settings for best performance
All aluminum construction that is treated to resist corrosion and rust make the B14 kits lightweight and durable.
Coil springs are powder coated for a lifetime of trouble free service.
Adjust ride height easily with the supplied spanner wrench and easy glide shock body threads.
Get complete suspension transformation with a Bilstein kit that is affordable and built to perform and last.
German suspension company H&R was the first company to bring a lowering spring to the aftermarket and are an industry leader with top quality components that are being enjoyed around the world.
Their most popular coilover is without a doubt, the street performance coilover kit made to give street cars a big bump in handling performance while keeping the ride smooth.
Benefits and features include:
- All aluminum shock bodies for weight reduction
- Monotube shock design for best performance and heat dispersion
- 1-2.5 inches (25-63mm) of lowering range to set the stance where you like
- Easy to adjust spring seats and supplied spanner wrenches
- Progressive rate coil springs keep the ride from being too stiff or harsh
These kits install easily, fit and perform flawlessly and are perfect for your daily driver that you may enjoy in the canyons occasionally.
All H&R kits are treated with corrosion and rust resistant processes, as well as powder coated coil springs for long life in any weather conditions.
This is our top selling coilover kit to date.
KW suspension has been the gold standard benchmark in the coilover game for many years now.
They offer buyers a wide range of suspension products and have a big catalog of applications.
The KW variant 1 coilover kit is a perfect entry for our list. Its a beautiful, high quality kit that meets the "under $1800" requirement. You simply can't go wrong with KW.
Features and benefits include:
- Entry level kit that is affordable, yet top quality
- All stainless steel shock bodies for light weight corrosion resistance
- Ride height adjustable within a safe range determined by KW
- Finely threaded shock bodies make ride height adjustments easy
- Dampers precisely tuned per vehicle for best response
- Tool kit with everything you need is included
Along with the stainless steel shock bodies, all other components are corrosion resistance treated for maximum performance and life span.
Preset, built-in compression and rebound settings are set by KW for each application.
Simply one of the best kits available at this price point.
ST suspension is the little brother brand of suspension legends, KW.
All ST products are overseen and approved by KW, to KW standards.
Created to offer entry level components that rival the high dollar counterparts.
These are the most affordable kits on our list.
These X series coilover kits are made with high quality materials and are engineered to greatly improve the response and handling of your street car.
Features and benefits include:
- A huge lowering range of 10-85mm (0.4-3.3 inches)
- Zinc coated, galvanized steel shock bodies
- Composite spring seats that won't rust or corrode
- Damper settings tuned per vehicle for great handling
- Powder coated, progressive rate springs keep the ride comfortable
With the biggest lowering range and lowest cost, the ST kit may be too good to be true.
This is a great choice if you are rebuilding an older suspension and want a mild upgrade with ride height options.
We hope you found this article useful and valuable, and hopefully one of these kits seems perfect for you.
Take some time and figure out what kit is best for you, and you'll be surprised that its probably not the most expensive one.
All these kits and other great stuff are available on our website, mgcsuspensions.com